Saturday, March 24, 2007

McDreamy - 30 min. sketch 01


This is the first of hopefully many entries constrained by a new self-imposed challenge: to paint a picture in oils in 30 minutes (or less). The goal is better freshness, more speed, and better control over oils for my illustration work. I've been using this medium for a few years now and I love it, but I've gravitated towards working carefully and methodically over time, waiting for layers to dry, etc. Now I want to conquer the wet-in-wet technique and learn to avoid the mud monster.
So, the parameters for this exercise are simple enough: No initial pencil drawing on the canvas; just go right in with paint. And limited to 30 minutes. I blew it with Patrick Dempsey here by going overtime by 1 hour.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks a lot like Sean Penn, too:)