Sunday, March 18, 2007

life drawing


I love drawing from life, but for me capturing total strangers in a public setting has sometimes been nerve-wracking. Once I sense that the subject is on to me drawing them I start to get insecure, as if I'd become some kind of creepy predator. I half expect the person to confront me about it or leave in disgust at being the object of so much attention. I'm finding this is pretty much all in my own mind as far as the drawing goes; the subject is really not as aware of me as I think they are, and all I get from this disillusion is a bad set of timid, stiff drawings.

This drawing is a couple of weeks old now, but here is an example of where I overcame timidity and stayed focused on the subject. The scrawl on the drawing summarizes the experience. I wanted to find out whether or not she knew I was drawing her the whole time. Her surprise told me "no" and even seemed to be flattered (or was it embarassed?). Right on, I thought. Then she and her group suddenly shuffled out of the cafe and I was left in the dust holding the drawing, feeling kind of creepy. Oh well, mission accomplished anyway, and I ended up with a better drawing than usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

я так считаю: шикарно.. а82ч